Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Tattooooo!


My tattoo (at about 5 minutes old)

On Saturday, June 5th, I got my first tattoo. I've been planning on getting one for quite a number of years, but my (now ex) husband didn't like the idea of me having any body mods (beyond my pierced ears). Needless to say, that didn't fly well and eventually (post divorce) I got a very attractive (at least, I think so) tat on my upper left hip, towards the back.

And the story behind the tattoo: My best friend C has lymphoma and after two rounds of chemo and stem-cell replacement therapy has decided against a third. So, I said that we needed to get matching tattoos as a memorial. He came up with the design and I and his other best friend Kathleen got pricked at Cherry Bomb Tattoo in Chicago by Patrick Cornolo (who was pleased to deflower two tattoo virgins in a row). Unfortunately, C decided not to get a tattoo after all, since his immune system is not up to par right now. Which is not a problem, I'm just going to draw it on him with a Sharpie the next time I visit him. :-)

It tool about an hour and a half, and while it hurt, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. My tat has healed nicely and I love catching a glimpse of it in the mirror and in the shower. I think it is a nice reminder of someone who will soon not be around. I keep telling C that I'll think of him whenever I sit down.

No comments: