Saturday, August 04, 2007

Furry bookmobiles

Okay, this is both realy cool and really cute. There is a university in Venezuela that is using pack-mules (bibliomulas)to carry books to remote communities around the area.

Venezuela's Four-legged Mobile Libraries

Reminds me of the pack-horse librarians of Kentucky, started by the WPA in the 1930s. There's even a book about them called Down Cut Shin Creek. And here's a nice interview with the author of the book.

I hope the bibliomulas project is successful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doin' this one. Now I don't have to.

Course, with Verizon popping in and out constantly the last few days I probably couldn't anyway.

Pissin' me off!

Anonymous said...

read about this on the bbc website then found your page. great research, i may buy the book! sent the links to mule friends at yahoo groups.
thanks!! sabine

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Shrek sez, "C'mon, Donkey!"