Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Procrastination 101

What do you do when you have a week deadline to write your grad school entrance essays? Why, you clean house, of course!

Today’s procrastination exercise consisted of me going through my wardrobe (which is looking very shabby) and refolding, tossing, and sorting what is in it. Tons of old socks, t-shirts with crusty underarms (hey, girls sweat too!), and things that simply don’t fit anymore (like the thongs which would likely slice me in half vertically if I tried them on).

The cats had fun spelunking in the spaces left by the dresser drawers being removed. Of course I took pictures, because I have no life. Missy is now being cuddled on my left shoulder as I type, because the caves were apparently very spooky.

Yesterday I procrastinated by going through the pantry and resorting everything. I always discover fun items when I do this: spring roll wrappers, a can of mango paste, two boxes of falafel mix. My New Year’s resolution list now includes actually eating the items in the pantry instead of attempting to run a small ethnic grocery in my kitchen.

I also successfully emptied out the computer/sewing room of all the detritus that has accumulated in it over the past few months (post-move, if that is any excuse). Of course, most of it is now spread over the living room floor (said items were barfed on by one of the cats last night, sigh) where I actually am managing to sort and toss stuff. Items found: my “no religious soliciting” sticker, which will go on the front door (hopefully it will work), my pocket knife (lost since my 2002 trip to London), and the English money I was going to give to my sister, plus other items that were squealed over. Pays to stay organized. Of course, it would be easier to do so if the office wasn't eight degrees cooler than the rest of the house. I swear, there were icicles on my computer monitor this morning.

No comments: