Saturday, January 20, 2007

Baked

I'm in a cooking mood this weekend, so I decided it was time to make my favorite cookie bar in the world: seven-layer bars. Well, mine are actually six-layer bars because I don't like butterscotch chips. I got everything ready and opened a can of sweetened condensed milk. It was tan. Okay, it's been a while since I made these, but to my recollection, sweetened condensed milk is more of an off white color. I looked for an expiration date on the can, smelled it, tentatively tasted it, and decided in the end that I didn't trust it. So I opened another can. Same. Thing.

So, now I've got two opened cans of goo. What to do? Well, two cans of sweetened goodness must make the bars twice as good, right?

...

At this moment, I am eating my cookie "bars" with a fork. I may need to switch to a spoon. They are still pretty tasty, but I'm going to stick them in the fridge and see if that will help them transform into a more solid state.

...

Whoops! I had to run and rescue my lunch from the oven; I totally forgot about it. Luckily, the onion rings and veggie burger are fine. I think that the universe is telling me that I need to go work on my paper instead of fiddling with food. Here's hoping that the Char Siu pork I have marinating in the fridge doesn't crawl away or mutate into something inedible.

No comments: