Sunday, April 01, 2007

Google buys OCLC!

It's finally happened. Hell has frozen over.

Google buys OCLC, announces new products

As of today, WorldCat has been renamed "Google Library," and every work ever published is now available for full-text searching in the system. Publishers are already crying foul and their lawyers are furiously filing lawsuits, but our reading of copyright law and the fact that Google has added the name "library" to the product means the lawsuits will ultimately fail.

I...I can't believe this. What will Google take over next? I guess I should start working on my resume now, since we're all going to be working at Google in a short time. I might as well get ahead of the rush.

From Hectic Pace:
A source at Google who did not want to be identified said, "We're looking forward to finally having enough librarians on staff to catalog all those web pages."

Nooooo!!! I hate cataloging electronic resources! I don't wanna be a cataloger any more!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

April Fools! See, librarians *can* be funny. And I'm gullible. You don't want to know how long it took me to remember today's date.

No comments: